25.12.09

Randomness

Day 07

Creative Writing Work-shy

By Ali Smith

This article is full of writing exercises so I’ll try to do one exercise a day.

A useful Exercise called Image-Music-Text

This is an exercise best done quickly. It can double as a poem in its own right.

Write down the first image that comes into your head.

Write down the first emotion that comes into your head.

Write down the first line that comes into your head.




It can be the first line for a story.

It can be the first line for a poem.

It can be the first line for anything.




Write down a different emotion.

Write down a different first line.

Write down a different image.



Write down another first line.

Write down another emotion.

Write down another image.


Write down an image that is an emotion (i.e. that will act as one).

Write down a first line that is an emotion (i.e. that will act as one).

Write down an image that is a first line (i.e. that will act as one).



Write down the emotion without mentioning the emotion.

Write down a first line that’s nothing but image.

Now remove the image (so that its absence can be felt).



Ok though at some point its all seemed greek to me but on my way home on the bus I started writing this exercise. So bare with me because the outcome seemed so silly to me.

A flower in the morning light

Waiting and anticipating the unknown

I went to work today


A sunny beach and golden sand

My heart is filled with gratitude

I’m right here and now today



Once upon a time a princess


So dark the night without him

This stop is not where I get off



Inspired by the surroundings

It looks so peaceful here tonight

The graves are so grey


It took me so much time

I feel so empty inside

Yellow leaves are falling down



The sky is grey with sadness

As it is full of tears

The greenery all surrounds me



My heart is crushed inside


An empty street at night

Nothing is here today


See, I warned you and told you the result is not satisfactory, so you can comment but no need to be sarcastic alright?!

No comments:

Post a Comment